Installing Hue Bridge Without Router

Home/Hue Forum/Installing Hue Bridge Without Router
Installing Hue Bridge Without Router 2017-01-15T19:48:55+00:00

Home Forums Hue Forum Installing Hue Bridge Without Router

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Hi,

I just purchased a Hue started kit, with the bridge and light bulbs. The snag is that I run off a router that I don’t have physical access to. My plan was to use my desktop Mac computer to create an extended ethernet connection.

Can I do that?

Right now it seems to suggest I’m doing everything right but my phone app still can’t detect the bridge.

sev
    Keymaster

You probably won’t be able to connect to the bridge properly like that, to avoid a lot of headaches it would be better to have a router even if you didn’t have internet. The only features you are losing without internet is the ability to control the lights away from home. Also when you are trying to use the bridge on a shared network like an apartment building that shares a wifi network or a business network, the bridge often has connectivity issues that you have little control over resolving.

Mark

So, if I get a router, would I need to plug into my computer, and have my Mac extend my wifi connection into the new router, and the bridge to it?

I’m also trying to control this thing with Alexa, which I would assume means the whole thing has to be on the same WiFi, doesn’t it?

Thanks a lot for your help.

sev
    Keymaster

It would all need to be on the same wireless network. Are there not ethernet ports available that have internet that you could use for the router? If not it may be possible to bridge your MACs wireless connected with the ethernet port to get internet to the router, but you may want to call Apple or someone with more expertise in that area to make that part work.

PL

Hey.
    ok, first im stupid with all about gadget. And now you see that im stupid to speak in english (im french boy) but i try.
    ok ok. I dont have really a internet connection. I have but wifi only (no modem in my house). And i have airport express (in my home) to expend the signal. So,how i can connect my hue bridge? Just for information, i have a mac mini, in case that help.

keaton manning

did you ever resolve this issue?

keaton mannin

did you ever resolve this issue?
    [email protected]

LongJohn
    Gary Cordingley

I was wondering if a Apple airport express would do you can pick them up cheap on eBay this may help you

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: Installing Hue Bridge Without Router
Your information:

Skip to toolbar