Random time for lights on/off

Home/Hue Forum/Random time for lights on/off
Random time for lights on/off 2016-05-23T19:46:23+00:00

Home Forums Hue Forum Random time for lights on/off

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author

One of the best (security) features of the old Hue app was the ability to have lights come on/off at a random time within a certain time frame, which is excellent for those of us who are occasionally away from home.

Do you know if this is going to be implemented in the new Hue app? I would certainly appreciate it.

Profile photo of sevsev
    Keymaster

I’m not aware of any feature for this currently in the app or one in the future from Philips. The only way I know you can do this currently is if you have a Nest thermostat you can have your lights come on and off randomly. I would try looking into some other applications to see if someone else has created one that has this feature.

Profile photo of skypicklestefan

What? How does a nest thermostat control the lights??

Profile photo of sevsev
    Keymaster

Nest has a feature that simulates you being at home. It is just an on/off feature, there isn’t really any customization to what it does. It will create a series of alarms that will make the lights come on and off randomly. It is able to control the lights through linking your meethue.com account and nest account together through the Philips hue app.

Andre

PLEASE re-implement this. I also used it as a key security feature. It’s a real bummer and it makes not sense that they’d remove a feature. Why not just focus on fixing what’s broken or making other things better? I don’t see the thought process that led them to say “yeah, let’s just leave this feature off. You know, because.”

chh

Hi,
    I actually called about this today, as well as bought a Belkin Wemo plug to do this “random thing” with another lamp. The person I spoke with said I had to set random “routines” for the light to come on and off. It’s a hassle, but I’ll program some in and use it until my Wemo plug comes. You have to program each on and off set time, and I’ll want it to be different times and different days, so, easy it’s not, but it is do-able, using my app on my phone.
    Good luck!

fredjones

Agree with Kyle

this was a GREAT feature of the old app

Barry

This was a specific use for the Hue system that I had in mind when I bought it. I was most disappointed to find that it had been removed in the new version of the app.

Harro Salloch

Radom is an absolute essential- specially when you are on holidays

Austin

I’m extremely disappointed that this has been removed. Adding it to the lengthy list of disappointments with the new app. I was finally forced to switch because the old one wouldn’t work with other devices.

Witek

Agreeing with everyone in this forum. Completely ridiculous that Philips removed this security feature from the new app.
    Extremely useful to give an impression that someone is in while they’re actually away, and pretty simple to implement in an app as basic software update!
    Disappointed at Philips for being silent on this.
    I sincerely hope that the moderators of this forum communicate this up the line within Philips.

Andrew

This has been a major thorn in my side since Philips removed the Randomize feature in the Hue app. It was a MAJOR selling point and now it’s gone. Makes no sense to remove such a great security feature.

Donald Trump

Why in the world is this not available?

Mads

Bought Hue starter set after Christmas and wanted to use this feature šŸ™ only to find out that it has been removed

Me

Very disappointed. I recently (Dec 2016) bought hue starter kit foolishly assuming this obvious feature would be available out of the box. I would have bought alternative and cheaper option if I’d have known. It’s such a poor decision to deprecate this capability that it makes me hesitant about all future Philips purchases

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
Reply To: Random time for lights on/off
Your information:

Skip to toolbar